Sunday, January 20, 2008

August Rush Movie Review

I really love inspirational, warm-fuzzy-feel-good movies that just leave your heart feeling so...rich afterwards. I went down to Tennessee for the weekend to visit some friends I hadn't seen in a while and it turned out to be a really refreshing decision. I'm really glad I decided to be spontaneous and jumped in the car when the seat was available. Alright, so my friend and I made time to watch August Rush this afternoon and once again (for those of you that know me) I have only great things to say about the movie and strongly recommend it. It's one of those movies that's not really all too realistic, but the deeper moral and message to it can only add to your life, if you so choose to see it that way.

Here's a quick summary of what the movie is about [I'll try not to give away too much so you will want to see it]: A New York Philharmonic cellist (Russell) meets rock star lead singer (Meyers) at a party. Their individual understanding and loves for music spark instant chemistry. However, an uncontrollable situation separates them and redirects their lives for over a decade. After 11 years of waiting, an orphaned boy decides to leave the communal Home he was bound to in search of his real parents. He claims to hear them through the sound of music. He finds himself in the big bad city of New York and becomes a street beggar playing music hoping that they in turn will find their way to him. This kid turns out to be quite the musical prodigy and learns everything about musical theory and composition what major known composers take several years to acquire. Basically he's a magical kid and is the fruit of his two musically-talented parents. See the rest of the movie to learn how it concludes. Starring Freddie Highmore, Keri Russell, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Terrence Howard, and Robin Williams, August Rush is definitely a must-see if you haven't already seen it. I give my personal critic and Two Thumbs Up of a wonderful heart-warming family movie.

I connected with this movie because it showed me another element of the substance of hope and faith. Although completely non-religious, the faith and hope the main characters held on to was very inspiring. Despite how big the odds may be against you, to truly have faith means to never let go of the hope that what you've so earnestly prayed for will be answered in its own time, even if it means waiting for several years. For some, patience is terribly hard, but having faith requires patience. Knowing that in God's perfect time all things will be revealed according to His purpose.

As I make time to watch more movies this semester, keep your eyes peeled for more reviews. I enjoy responding to movies and attempting to derive some sort of deeper meaning or analysis of them.

3 comments:

erica said...

i completely agree about how the movie had a strong message of faith in it, even without the religion... pretty cool how they did that.

Anonymous said...

baby-girl (thanks matts), did you say you had a blog or a regular thesis writing?

Anonymous said...

p.s. added ya to my blogroll!